i have a major sweet tooth that is almost impossible to satisfy- but its actually not as hard as i thought it would be to find healthy substitutes !
instead of reaching for
processed candy & chocolate bars – i make my own desserts using quality all natural products !
my biggest life savers have been: detoxinista.com, all natural honey, local bee pollen, cacao powder, & 80% or higher dark chocolate- they’ve replaced lindt chocolate truffles, hershey bars, & ice cream bars.
now that i have the vitamix i am experimenting with ice cream/ frozen yogurt combinations !
a general rule of thumb is to use frozen bananas as your base so its creamier- if that’s too much of a hassle lots of ice cubes can be used but i always find it waters down the taste.
almond milk is also a good thickener & so is plain greek yogurt & if you want something extra rich & creamy- all natural organic peanut butter.
mix & match to fit your flavors- be sure to experiment ! it really is as simple as putting them in the vitamix & you’re just a quick blend away to a healthy dessert !
here are my top 8 healthy, fun, add ins:
1. fruit– cherries, mangoes, blueberries, apples cut into small pieces. these really help to add texture !
2. cinnamon– it helps to regulate blood sugar, its great for people trying to stabilize their energy levels & their moods
3. nuts– almonds & walnuts. these definitely add a crunch- unfortunately i had to give up my old favorite – sprinkles ! read the ingredient list on them, its scary !
4. local bee pollen– ENERGY, ENERGY, ENGERY. sweet, floral flavor. superfood.
5. granola– adds a crunch
6. maca powder– ancient Peruvian superfood highly prized by Incan warriors to increase stamina, boost libido, & combat fatigue- adds a thickness & mild root flavor
7. natural organic raw honey– this ones obvious. sweet & natural
8. natural organic peanut butter– yum this is just personal preferences. & it has protein
in other news- i found this great yoga activewear line http://www.spirtualgangster.com
i just ordered this tank & pullover – cant wait to get it in the mail !
ive been working on the next issue of MYM ( miami yoga magazine ) & we are collaborating with Cat Haayen of Yogathletica ! i cant give away too many details yet 😉 but i can say she is so sweet & great to work with ! looking forward to good things !
Cat Haayen with http://www.yogathleta.com- if youre in miami check out her classes at the SoHo House !